Re: [whatwg] Fetch, MSE, and MIX

Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:
>> Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>>> Did you agree with my assertion nevertheless? That we might want to
>>> put less effort into enabling this particular MSE use case?
>
> We think this is still an important issue that needs solving if we're to
> offer a viable migration path from existing plugin-based solutions, and for
> content providers that may not have teams of engineers like Mark mentioned
> that can focus on the organization-specific challenges in getting to a
> secure default.
>
> As it stands, the absence of this solution makes several much less secure or
> interoperable options more desirable, both from a technological perspective
> and a user-experience.

Such as?

> I think as we look to
> provide a compelling story for EME over wholly-proprietary (... rather than
> partially-proprietary) solutions, or look to improve the user experience in
> streaming video with MSE vs the <video> tag, this is still very much needed.

Everybody agrees with this. But, it's hard to see if, how, or why
creating an exception for mixed-content MSE is a necessary component
in this.

Personally, I think that unless and until a content provider is
willing to post on this list saying that they feel they need this and
why nothing else we can do would be an acceptable alternative, then we
should just shelve the issue of making an exception for mixed-content
MSE completely.

Also, great job Netflix!

Cheers,
Brian