Re: Technical Review of WebAppSec Credential Management API [2/3] (was Re: Overlap with Credentials/Web Payments CG)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Jonathan Kingston <jonathan@jooped.com>
wrote:

> @jeffery Tests 8 and 9 here fail with LastPass:
> password-generation-test-cases.herokuapp.com
>
> These are visible in a fair few apps that use AJAX for auth, in fact
> LastPass integration advises against using AJAX for this reason I suspect.
> Allowing apps like LastPass to extend or override the store requests will
> allow this to be seamless to login rather than sometimes delayed or a
> little jankier than native experiences.

Thanks. I might rephrase this as saying that LastPass takes advantage of
the standardized <form> interface in order to intercept and store password
submissions. Because AJAX login techniques are not currently standardized,
LastPass often can't find the right Javascript names to interpose. With
Mike's proposal of a common Javascript interface, it would be easier for
them to capture and suggest credentials.

The browser-understood interface Mike's proposing would also allow browsers
to provide a dedicated extension interface, rather than making LastPass run
content scripts on all websites in order to do what they need to do.
There's no need to standardize the extension interface in order for Mike's
contribution to enable it.

Jeffrey