Re: Technical Review of WebAppSec Credential Management API [2/3] (was Re: Overlap with Credentials/Web Payments CG)

Good afternoon. Just to get this out there, I am a nobody civilian in the standards space. I am not a W3C member, nor presently attached to one (that may change in the near future). I am only a volunteer in the Community Group CG offering my limited time because I believe it has real potentially to materially impact the world in very interesting, powerful, useful and positive ways.

I am, however, a highly visible public developer-facing standards advocate who has been trying to get developers to care about W3C standards for over ten years. I speak to between 2,000-4,000 developers around the world annually highlighting the good work that is done here. To the extent that I am able to get them excited about standards, it is because the W3C sometimes appears as if it is a deliberate and thoughtful organization attempting to solve hard problems for everyone with compatible technologies. To the extent that there is confusion, competing standards, arbitrary, narrowly-focused agendas encoded as specs, short-term bandwagon thinking, the whole thing appears to be a waste of time and developers return to their default position of ignoring any standards they can.

From my Outsider position, it appears that there is not a tremendous amount of conflict here. There are two groups doing good work that, at a minimum, bump into each other or will at least appear to publicly. I encourage the groups to collaborate and perpetuate the thoughtful and problem-solving perspective. I acknowledge that will take at least a short extra amount of time to find the overlap and opportunities to produce a superior set of standards, but I believe it will be worth it.

This is an example where this can move forward positively and deliberately or fall off the rails. People will notice the outcome in either case and choose whether to respect or ignore your significant efforts.