Re: Overlap with Credentials/Web Payments CG (was Re: CfC to publish a FPWD of Credential Management; ending April 17th.)

Manu,

Before you continue tossing around threats of Formal Objections, I'll
suggest you refer the process document:

http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/

"An individual who registers a Formal Objection SHOULD cite technical
arguments and propose changes that would remove the Formal Objection; these
proposals MAY be vague or incomplete. Formal Objections that do not provide
substantive arguments or rationale are unlikely to receive serious
consideration by the Director."

I hope you will at least do this group the courtesy of the same: a
substantive technical rationale for the objection and proposals for changes
(within the chartered scope of this WG:
http://www.w3.org/2015/03/webappsec-charter-2015.html)  that would remove
the objection, and give us an opportunity to respond to those suggestions.

Credential is a very overloaded term, as the CG's executive summary
document makes abundantly clear.  The concrete problem of improving the
reliability, functionality and security of management tools for
username/password and federated credentials - tools that are in wide
deployment today - is real and pressing, and that is what we put in the
scope of our charter.

As the Credentials CG summary seems to consider 'credentials' as
potentially including payment instruments, identities, verifiable age
claims, and more, and there is no technical report giving any technical
details of how such would be represented, it seems impossible to judge at
this time whether this specification would accommodate those concerns or
not, or whether the use case scenarios even overlap (automatically applying
a username/password for login is quite different than automatically
applying a payment instrument!) without further clarification.

thank you,

Brad Hill
Co-Chair, WebAppSec WG