Re: HTML Imports and CSP

<hat=individual>

Do I misunderstand the model for HTML imports here?  I thought there was no
new document context created and no security boundary between it and the
importing page.  (which makes me sad, and which I commented on early-on,
but am not aware that the model ever changed)

The idea that an import is not governed by the page into which it is
inlined seems very against the rest of the pattern of CSP.  It makes sense
for e.g. a Worker to come with its own policy, as they may be shared among
several resources, have a limited interface, and must be same origin.

If I <script src=xyz> that content might further try to import other
content, but the CSP for the importing resource must allow it.  (ReCaptcha
is a good example of this pattern.)

But if content that gets inlined directly into the DOM gets to supply its
own policy... well, how do we even distinguish at that point which requests
are coming from it vs. the importing context?  And why isn't that just a
total invalidation of the CSP policy?

As someone who might be applying a policy to try to contain code (no,
random n00b developer, you can't just can't add that .js from jquery's CDN,
and sorry 3rd-party ad, you can't XHR to evil.com) this means I either have
to totally disallow imports, or it's goat-rodeo time.

:(

If an import becomes part of the resource, it should be governed by policy
delivered with that resource.  If that means you have to understand the
dependencies of things you import, (and they have to document and conform
to them!) I'm not sure that is a bad thing, either.

-Brad