W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webappsec@w3.org > April 2015

[webappsec] pre-Agenda: Conf Call work mode

From: Brad Hill <hillbrad@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 20:04:01 +0000
Message-ID: <CAEeYn8h+WOJ4QiLsvZdFUj-narN34r8G4C0o+hegZZoze4kebw@mail.gmail.com>
To: "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
I'd like to think about rebooting our conference call work-mode for
WebAppSec going forward.

I think it has proven valuable to socialize discussion of tricky issues and
establishing consensus verbally has allowed us to move quickly through
things that would block for a long time on the mailing list.  I also like
the social accountability it provides for work items, etc.

However, my most important priority is being respectful in valuing people's
time and putting it to productive use.  We now have many more specs,
covering much more technical ground, in motion at the same time, which I
see as presenting a number of challenges:

* keeping enough context to meaningfully participate on issues
* making sure we don't lose track of issues that don't get quickly resolved
* keeping specs on track to completion

Using the list a primary platform for discussion, and making use of GitHub
issue tracking and comment threads is great and should continue, but for
our call I'd like to propose that we designate, at least a month in
advance, a schedule in which we address one or at most two specifications
per call:

1) Editors would select a teleconference date at which they'd commit to
discussion of their spec.  This should be no less than every 3 months, in
keeping with a goal of producing a heartbeat draft.

2) Editors would be responsible (with assistance from the chairs as
desired) for batching up and keeping track of issues on the list and
tracker which do not reach a natural consensus.

3) Prior to the call, Editors would be responsible to work with the chairs
to produce an agenda of outstanding issues.  The agenda would contain some
background information.

4) Teleconference participants can use plan this to "do their homework" on
the outstanding issues for a single spec, and with some introduction on the
call from the Editor(s), and so participate more meaningfully.
Participants that are only interested in a single spec can plan in advance
to attend the relevant calls even if they do not want to participate on a
regular basis.

5) The goal of each call should be to resolve enough issues for the
Editor(s) to be able to produce a heartbeat draft or advance the document
status in the following week.

We'll still reserve some time to address issues that pop up on the mailing
list and need more immediate resolution, but the overall hope is that we
will be less randomized and that some structure and pre-commitment by
Editors will help motivate more regular progress.

I'll put some time on the agenda for Monday to discuss, but I'd love to
hear folks' thoughts here first.

thanks,

Brad
Received on Friday, 3 April 2015 20:04:29 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:11 UTC