Re: [MIX] Feedback on the private origin & self-signed certificate requirements

Hi Zhigao!

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Chen, Zhigao <zhigao.chen@sap.com> wrote:

>  1. Can we relax the first requirement to allow requests to a private
> origin over loopback interface? I think it is better to leave the cloud
> application to decide what origins are allowed and disallowed by using CSP. Section
> 5.4 treats 127.0.0.1 as an authenticated origin.

I think the loopback interface might be a reasonable exclusion. CCing
cbentzel@, as I just had a similar conversation with him at the end of last
week, and Brian Smith, who I suspect will have opinions.

That said, there are certainly abuses of this functionality that I think it
would be good to limit: see
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/net-dev/oyUB2bWKGuE/k0ZWtmnJ_lcJ
for an example of a (large) public website using local applications to
bypass geolocation permission checks.

It sounds like your use-case would be met with a requirement that localhost
be authenticated with a self-signed certificate in the browser's local
trust store. That would at least make it clear that the installed
application was asserting control over the machine in a way that the
browser is explicitly excluded from defending against.

WDYT?

> 2. Self-signed certificates are commonly used in corporates. This can be a
> big impact. Since a user already grant the trust by manually importing the
> certificate into his browser trusted store, does browser have to be so
> restrictive? I can't use a real certificate, since "localhost" is not a
> fully qualified Common Name.

In this case, the enterprise should assert control over the machines which
ought to trust the certificates by installing a root certificate into the
local trust stores. The intent of this section was not to outlaw
self-signed certificates entirely, but only those which don't chain to a
root in the local trust store. I've updated the text accordingly:
https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/commit/f86ae7a329cd64b19b66b0ef4e74a6df23daf33e

I hope that leaves enough room for the use-case you're outlining here.

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Google+: https://mkw.st/+, Twitter: @mikewest, Cell: +49 162 10 255 91

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München, Germany
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)