Re: NTP vs. HSTS

From: Adam Langley <agl@google.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:01:29 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>, "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net> wrote:
>> https://www.blackhat.com/docs/eu-14/materials/eu-14-Selvi-Bypassing-HTTP-Strict-Transport-Security-wp.pdf
>
> So the problem is that time synchronization does not happen over TLS.
> That seems like a pretty big flaw in OSs. Hopefully someone audits any
> other unauthenticated channels they may have.

This is the motivation for things like tlsdate
(https://github.com/ioerror/tlsdate) as used in parts of ChromeOS.

However, in section seven, where the author claims that preloaded
entries are added for 1000 days, that's only via the net-internals
debugging interface. (The code screenshot shown is also of code for
that debugging interface.) I believe that preloaded entries in Chrome
will always be enforced, no matter what the system time is.

Cheers

AGL