Re: Avoiding syncronous manifest requests in EPR

Adding a DOM-accessible value is tricky.  The admin now needs to put an
inline security script at the top of every single bit of HTML markup they
serve that could potentially be vulnerable to XSS.  It's already burdensome
enough that they need to apply the X-EPR header pervasively.  And if they
don't get the script right then the injected XSS payload can win the race.
 (The similar example to this I've seen is framebusting script.  I can only
imagine it would be painful to emulate that model.)  I'd prefer to just
avoid all this and have the browser take care of the problem via a standard
mechanism.

Regarding the attack based on XSS in the path...  Don't let the perfect be
the enemy of the good.  EPR is already pragmatic in the sense that it won't
protect against XSS that is on an entry point, persistent XSS, etc.  While
XSS in the path definitely exists, I haven't seen that it is pervasive
enough for me to worry about not covering it in this case.  I also think
that there are some simple extensions we can make to the NODATA rule if we
wanted to further harden against this threat.

I worry more about making sure we have something that is compatible,
performant, and usable rather than something that is capable of mitigating
all conceivable XSS / XSRF attacks.  If we don't get compat, perf, and
usability right, this approach is 0% effective because EPR just won't be a
thing.

Dave