Re: [SRI] Escaping mixed-content blocking for video distribution

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> > I expect most people are familiar with the debate as to whether Encrypted
> > Media Extensions should require a secure origin and also the fact that
> that
> > debate might become moot if it were possible to deliver video content
> over
> > HTTP on an HTTPS site (including video fetched using XHR and played using
> > the Media Source Extensions).
>
> Mark,
>
> First of all, most/all browsers already automatically load
> mixed-content video presented through <video>. But, you're asking
> browsers to loosen the rules for XHR, which is very different. In
> particular, although you keep mentioning video, the browser has no way
> to know that you're planning to feed the result of your XHR into a
> video player. In particular, in order to use MSE, you have to give all
> the bytes from the XHR to Javascript code, and that Javascript code
> could do anything with the data, whether or not it feeds it through
> MSE.

​Yes. If this is a big concern, then it would be a reason to consider the
video-specific option I outlined in my earlier mail.​

However, what is the concern with respect to passing the XHR bytes to
Javascript ? If this is a security concern, isn't this mitigated by the
requirement for the script to provide a hash of the response ? Presumably,
if the script has a hash of the response, then it could probably obtain the
actual response some other way (indeed, it could request it over HTTPS).
So, we're not giving any bytes to Javascript that it couldn't get anyway.

...Mark