Re: [CSP] Relative/absolute hostname matching

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> It would be interesting to consider if we could normalize the dot away
> during URL parsing. This would make "http://example.com./" always load
> "http://example.com/" and we'd basically not expose a way to get to
> the former. Is that a realistic option?

My worry is that we'd be unable to support internal names on intranets. For
instance, consider an internal shortlinking service named `
go.internal.megacorp.com`, which is accessible by typing `go`. If we
automagically assume that `go` is `go.`, then we'd break the resolution,
right?

I think we'd have to limit the behavior to public suffixes, which seems
strange to bring into URL parsing.

-mike

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Google+: https://mkw.st/+, Twitter: @mikewest, Cell: +49 162 10 255 91

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München, Germany
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)