Re: CSP wildcard host matching

This is already "a problem" in PKIX certificates today.

The proposed change would also be different from the matching
rules for TLS in FRF2595:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2595.txt

   - A "*" wildcard character MAY be used as the left-most name
     component in the certificate.  For example, *.example.com would
     match a.example.com, foo.example.com, etc. but would not match
     example.com.

People live with this rule, and it matches the implicit multi-level structure of the SOP elsewhere.

I question how important making this change actually is to developing policies.  In the certificate case, I think the where this issue almost always comes up is when a site hosts itself on both "www.example.com" and "example.com", in which case for CSP the 'self' token handles it adequately and should be preferred.  I think it's probably a much rarer case that a third-party site needs to include resources across that boundary in a wildcard manner.

-Brad