Re: [MIX]: Expand scope beyond TLS/non-TLS (Re: "Mixed Content" draft up for review.)

Den 06-06-2014 07:13Katharine Berry skrev:
> I work at Pebble; we make watches that connect to your phone, and on
> which developers can run code. To be specific, our communication
> scheme for watch development is that the watch connects to an app
> running on the user’s phone via Bluetooth. The phone provides a
> websocket server, and our development tools connect to that. We use
> this connection to relay control messages, logs, binaries, etc.
> bidirectionally. The phone mostly acts as a proxy, forwarding messages
> to/from the watch without inspection or modification.
>
> Historically our standard development environment involved a series of
> command-line tools, but this is not user-friendly and is difficult to
> use on Windows. We therefore additionally provide a web-based tool,
> CloudPebble, as a complementary development solution.
>
> The key part here is that CloudPebble must be able to contact the
> watch; hence, it must be able to communicate with the websocket server
> on the phone.

So, you want an app running on your phone to communicate with a website
running in your browser on your PC, over your local network?

Intuitively, it sound like a use case for WebRTC, not websockets. Have
you looked at that? (I don't have experience with WebRTC, so I don't
know if it is actually usable right now)

- Jesper Kristensen