Re: referrer directive expressiveness

+Adam

Hey David!

One the one hand, I agree with you that the current spec combines two
aspects into a single keyword. On the other, I agree with Adam of 2011 that
some of the combinations don't make much sense. I'd like to keep things
simple, and I hope we can do that by addressing your use-case, but sticking
to the single-keyword model.

How about something like this hastily considered list?

none => no referrer header for any request (today's "none")
none-when-insecure => no referrer header for HTTPS->HTTP (today's "default")
origin-always => always send a referrer header containing only the origin
(today's "origin")
origin-when-cross-origin => full referrer header for same-origin requests,
origin referrer header for cross-origin requests
unsafe-url-always => full referrer header for any request (today's "always")

Bikeshedding welcome...

-mike

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Google+: https://mkw.st/+, Twitter: @mikewest, Cell: +49 162 10 255 91

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München, Germany
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)