Re: Proposal: Prefer secure origins for powerful new web platform features

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net> wrote:

> What can a browser tell you
> about an essentially unknown web server?

It can tell you whether or not the server's cryptographic identity was
vouched-for in public by a known trusted third party. (Certificate
Transparency.) It can tell you whether or not the identity is
computationally infeasible to forge. (Run-time checks on the
negotiated cryptographic parameters and the key material.) It can tell
you whether or not the identity is in a small set of
previously-known-good key <-> DNS name mappings. (Key pinning,
including pre-loaded key pinning.) It can tell you whether or not the
server refers to resources and code that are also authenticated.
(Mixed-mode content checking.)

If that's not good enough for you, well, I'm sorry. It's the state of
the art in 2014. If you have some ideas to advance the state of the
art, we'd all love to hear them.

If your point is that the state of the art will never be good enough
to satisfy you, then I'll stop responding. I'm not interested in
security nihilism.