Re: Proposal: Prefer secure origins for powerful new web platform features

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:09 AM, Eduardo' Vela" <Nava> <evn@google.com> wrote:

> Using the "particularly powerful" web features as a carrot to promote an
> unrelated technology seems wrong. Specially when "particularly powerful" has
> such a broad definition..

Don't think of it as a carrot — I certainly don't. Think of it as the
bare minimum promise of safety to users.

Put it another way: If someone wants to track your location and
install new geofences on your phone, yet complains that HTTPS is "too
expensive", what more difficult safety measures are they also
skipping?

This isn't about carrots and sticks. It's about empowering people with
technology vs. installing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescreen
everywhere.