Re: CSP and inline styles

Hi Yoav,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoav Weiss" <yoav@yoav.ws>
To: "Mike West" <mkwst@google.com>
Cc: public-webappsec@w3.org
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 3:01:48 PM
Subject: Re: CSP and inline styles

> A different random thought - correct me if I'm wrong but there are 3 main dangers from injected styles:
> * "javascript:" scheme URL or equivalent "data:" URIs
> * "expression()" - Not sure it is still relevant past IE8
> * Defacing

we discussed this a little while ago and other threats were mentioned :

* using CSS selectors to steal passwords
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2012Oct/0052.html)

* phone home/exfiltration attacks
these can be blocked by using appropriate img-src and font-src directives (falling back
to (what is hopefully) a strict default-src)

I think there's at least some level of consensus that preventing defacement is not a goal for CSP.

thanks,
ian