Re: CSP script hashes

Hi.
+1 for refocusing on hashes.
nonce is just focusing to network level protection.

I have added my comment line by line.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Bryan McQuade <bmcquade@google.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see us move forward with the hash proposal for allowing inline
> scripts and styles.
>
> I do notice that script nonce is in the 1.1 spec as an experimental
> feature:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/content-security-policy/raw-file/tip/csp-specification.dev.html#script-nonce--experimentalbut in looking at this thread, there has been some concern about deploying
> nonces, especially on CDNs (some sites do use CDNs to serve their HTML with
> short-ish TTLs) and hashes are a better way to accommodate that use case.
>
> So, I'd like to propose that we refocus on hashes, and that support be
> added for both inline script and inline styles. The open questions seem to
> be:
>
> How should the hashes be expressed in the CSP header?

I think hash data and object ID combination is best choice.

>  * what hashing algorithm(s) do we want to support and do we want to
> allow servers to choose from a set of algorithms (specifying the chosen
> algorithm in the response header)?

we need to consider the list of algorithms in WebCrypto API (
http://www.w3.org/TR/WebCryptoAPI/#sha)
SHA-1, SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512 are listed.
let server choose one of them.

* do we want to require base64-encoding of the digest or should it be up to
> the server to choose the encoding? I can't think of any good reason to make
> the encoding scheme configurable so I'd propose always using base64.

the hash value will be different by the page encodings even with the same
scripts.
I prefer letting server choose the encodings.

--
Mountie Lee

PayGate
CTO, CISSP