Re: Sub-origins

I would just caution against being too casual about considering the browser
the only citizen of the SOP ecosystem, even if you happen to think the
recent history of such was misguided.

For an example of a protocol encoding and comparing origins, consider
"Universal 2nd Factor" (previously known as Gnubby) which Google is leading
the development of.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jm_xAJTZGulMOkYOQm-fIQhhkd2VDr9578oh0KOwcEw/edit#heading=h.q5kqrl82hzpj

And also consider the rich extension ecosystem for Chrome utilizing origins
for security isolation.
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity12/sec12-final177_0.pdf

And the set of cross-origin attacks on mobile platforms recently explored
by MSR, and their proposed mitigation using an origin indication:
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/200406/ccs127-wang.pdf

I'm interested in exploring a way to encode suborigins as first-class
citizens of URL space a bit further as an alternative to the hash scheme,
since the single-value URL is the near-universal means of communicating
resource information with embedded security boundaries between the various
pieces of the web ecosystem.