Re: [CORS] Understanding the definition of simple headers

The security considerations section discusses that the difference between
simple and non-simple isn't defined by any internal logic, but by
consistency with what existing pre-CORS user agents could already do
cross-origin.

If it was an existing capability of user agents that existing servers had
to be prepared for, it was a "simple" request.  Any new cross-origin
capabilities had to be gated behind a pre-flight check so that CORS
wouldn't be creating additional risk to deployed servers.

In the end, it looks somewhat arbitrary because it reflects the vagaries of
the evolution in the previous 15 years of the Web platform.