From: Fred Andrews [mailto:fredandw@live.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:43 PM
To: Hill, Brad; public-webappsec@w3.org; public-privacy@w3.org
Subject: RE: Resolution of post-Last Call comments on CSP 1.0 by Fred Andrews and Boris Zbarsky

Viewing the DOM/script platform as being incapable to maintaining privacy has
been used by the WG to exclude some consideration of privacy in the CSP spec.
The WG has revised the amount of information sent in reports and I commend
them for this.

What the WG has failed to consider is the capability of the UA to maintain privacy,
and it would be hard for the WG to argue that a UA could not block reports and
thus the conclusion of the WG that the platform is not capable of maintaining
the privacy of the security violation reports in false.  Thus I believe the refusal of
the WG to consider privacy issues is a failing of the WG.

The reason stated below for rejecting issue 11 may mislead some reads and I
request that it be changed to more completely reflect the reality of the WGs decision.
The that "violation reports do not disclose any information not already available
to the author of the resource" is clearly false because if the author already knew
the information then there would be no need to send the report.

I suggest that the reality is that the WG refuses to consider privacy matters because
it views the DOM/script platform as being incapable to maintaining privacy and would
appreciate it if the reason could be revise along these lines for the record.

It may be helpful to privacy advocates to understand the reasons for rejecting privacy
considerations in ongoing standards so that they can ponder paths forward.

cheers
Fred