Re: CSP and inline styles

Thanks for your answer, Mike!

> I'm sure my car would go much faster if I strapped a rocket engine to the
roof, but speed isn't the only relevant consideration. :)

I'm not sure this is the right analogy here. Inline styles are not
inherently dangerous. Only unwanted, UG unfiltered content ones are.

> A developer can choose to allow inline style by adding 'unsafe-inline'

True, but it would be a shame if a "performance best practice" would also
be a "security worst practice". While trade-off is sometimes necessary,
it's better for everyone if we'd avoid imposing this choice on developers.

> I don't think it's safe to assume that developers won't echo user-controlled
data in a document's head

In that case, I take back my proposal to enable inline styles in the head
as the default option.

> Still, the idea of scoping the whitelist to a document's head is interesting.
I'm not sure the complexity is worth the benefit, but I
> do think it's worth some discussion. Some quantification of the performance
impact

I'd love to understand why adding scope adds significant complexity &
results in a performance hit. Can you elaborate?

> If there's a good use case for `style-nonce`, it sounds reasonable to add
it.

Great! The main use case IMO would be to enable "legitimate" inline styles
and avoid a performance hit before the page's initial paint.

My issue with "nonce" is that it requires server side logic (coordinating
between HTTP headers and the HTML templates), and cannot be implemented on
a static server, even if the developer can add CSP HTTP headers. It is much
better than nothing, but I'm not certain it'd be easy enough for developers
to use.

A different random thought - correct me if I'm wrong but there are 3 main
dangers from injected styles:
* "javascript:" scheme URL or equivalent "data:" URIs
* "expression()" - Not sure it is still relevant past IE8
* Defacing

While we can't limit defacing without blocking the entire style, we can
limit "javascript:" URLs and "data:" URIs that are not images/fonts.
It would enable permitting inline (or other) styles, while blocking any
scripting that could result from these styles.
I'm not certain it is beneficial, but worth considering IMO.

Yoav