From: Fred Andrews [mailto:fredandw@live.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 3:47 PM
To: Hill, Brad
Cc: public-webappsec@w3.org
Subject: RE: [webappsec] ACTION REQUIRED: Call for Consensus on new WebAppSec WG Charter

Dear Brad,

Might it be possible to achieve more with this deliverable.

A needed use case is a widget or even just a JS resource that is written by an
author that a user trusts but might be deployed widely on servers controlled by
authors the user is not familiar with and might not have as much trust in.  For
example a library such as jquery, or a social widget, or a payment widget.  These
might even be embedded in the HTML markup using a data URL.

This might share some similarity to some of your use cases.  The 'src' attribute
could be the trusted authors distribution URL and uniquely identify the resource
being trusted, the 'alt-src' attribute might be the deployed server's URL, and
rather than a hash, a signature generated by the trusted author might be used
so that the user could check that the resource is trusted.  It might also be useful
if versions of resource could be managed, but I'm not sure what this would mean
yet, but if a user trusts an author and a new version of a resource is released
then the UA might make it more convenient for the user to accept and transfer
trust, or perhaps even substitute a newer version.  For example if a user visits
a website with version 6 of a social widget and then visits a website with version 5
then perhaps the UA could be smart enough to use the latest - with some flags
on control this.  Perhaps this spec. would work with manifests to keep a set of
resources in sync.

Another option might be to support a server sending the UA certificates of servers
with linked resources that it trusts to help with MitM threats and to support a web
of trust.  UAs are already bundling some as part of HSTS.  If these were sent in
HTTP headers it might be generally accepted.  The user would visit a trusted website
and it could send back certificates of other trusted servers.  Assuming the user
already has the websites certificate to detect a MitM then this also protects against
MitM for linked servers for which the user may not have already had the certificate.

cheers
Fred