Re: Notice of CFC: Make previous versions of HTML and XHTML obsolete

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 11:22:05 +0000
To: "tink@tink.uk" <tink@tink.uk>, Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL <ryladog@gmail.com>
CC: 'Sharron Rush' <srush@knowbility.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi Katie, Leonie,

I have to admit my first reaction to obsoleting 5.0 was surprise, however, I think it will help with a common misconception.

People outside the W3C tend to assume things are standardised then implemented, whereas (and please forgive the simplification) the reality is more a case of standardising once things are implemented.

Marking the latest HTML spec as the ‘one to look at’ (by marking all previous ones as not) is a better reflection of reality, so I think there is a good reason to obsolete the 5.0 version. Therefore, I support the change.

Cheers,

-Alastair