Re: Requesting Semantic Web IG review of Microdata

This looks like a great update for Microdata that simplifies some previous aspects of the spec. As I note below, we should probably coordinate an update to the Microdata to RDF Note to ensure that they remain consistent.

Some typo’s:

In 4.2 The basic syntax:

> The itemprop attribute on a descendent element of an item's identifies a property of that item.

Should be “element of an item”.

In 5.2

> The itemid attribute must not be specified on elements that do not have both an itemscope attribute and anitemtype attribute specified.

Note that Microdata to RDF makes no such restriction, and includes a process for crafting URIs for @itemprop values based on the document location. Either this restriction should be removed (requiring only @itemscope), or we’ll need to remove that mechanism from a future Microdata to RDF update. In the absence of either @itemid or @itemtype, a Microdata to RDF processor will generate triples using blank node identifiers. Either such a processor should not ever generate triples without seeing an @itemtype, or @itemid should be allowed without @itemtype.

In any case, the Microdata to RDF spec does make use of the previous Microdata DOM API, and will need an update to provide a different mechanism for getting the values of an element or attribute. It may be useful to coordinate a Third Edition of Microdata to RDF with this publication so that they are consistent.

Gregg Kellogg
gregg@greggkellogg.net