Re: Limiting new members emails

On 01/05/2017 13:27, marcos@marcosc.com wrote:

>> On 1 May 2017, at 10:03 pm, Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk> wrote:
>>
>> We also welcome them to the official WG list because, as you note, it's a lovely thing to do. It also helps existing WebPlat members discover people with knowledge that is useful to the work being done - and enabling them to reach out to new members to encourage them to contribute to a particular spec or activity.
>
> I think this might be my 11th year here, and I've never seen this happen. Of course, my experience may not be representative.
It isn't common, but it does happen. A recent example is Anne Colum, who
responded to our welcome email and who is now actively helping with HTML.

> The way we collaborate had radically changed since we moved to GitHub, and this list is increasingly becoming irrelevant (in a good way).

> I'd rather new folks be paired up with existing participants if they want to get started. I'd be more than happy to get new members started rather than them sending greetings emails.
>

>> So although it creates a few additional emails, it feels like something worth doing in the interests of making people feel welcome and helping them find ways to actively contribute on Github.
>
> I personally find it unhelpful to both the group and the new members (because in reality new members rarely contribute).
 >
 > We need to find better ways of on-boarding new people than sending
these emails.

Which probably means we could do better at making them feel welcome
and/or helping them get started. The idea of introducing them to another
active participant is worth exploring - how do you think it might work
in practice?

Léonie.
--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem