RE: PSA: publish WD of "WebIDL Level 1"

From: Ryosuke Niwa [mailto:rniwa@apple.com]

> For our internal documentation purposes, I'd refer having a perm link to a
> document that never changes.
>
> Let's say we implement some feature based on Web IDL published as of
> today.  I'm going to refer that in my source code commit message.  Future
> readers of my code has no idea what I was implementing when they look at
> my commit message in five years if it refers to the living standard that
> changes over time.

I agree this is an important use case. Fortunately it is covered by commit snapshot URLs. E.g. https://rawgit.com/heycam/webidl/a90316a16f639aaa3531208fc0451a1b79a35a7d/index.html

This is better than expecting that the one time a snapshot happens ("v1"), it also aligns with what you're implementing at the time.

(BTW: for streams I have made this concept first-class; at https://streams.spec.whatwg.org/ you can click the "Snapshot as of this commit" link to get https://streams.spec.whatwg.org/commit-snapshots/5bd0ab1af09153fd72745516dadc27103e84043c/.)