Re: W3C's version of XMLHttpRequest should be abandoned

> According to Art
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/default/Overview.html is no longer
> maintained.

WebApps agreed to stop work on the above (aka XHR L2) and published a WG
Note in November 2014 [1].

> It should redirect to https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/
> therefore.

Yes, that seems like a reasonable thing to do and if there are no
non-resolvable objections to doing so, I will request that redirection
is done.

> According to Art the plan of record is to still pursue
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/default/xhr-1/Overview.html

Yes, that is still the group's plan of record (per the charter [2]).

> but that was last updated more than a year ago. Last "formally" published
> a year and a half ago. That causes significant confusion. More
> importantly, implementations are implementing the new features in
> https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/ so nobody has much use for a "Level 1".
> Especially one that is not layered on top of Fetch and therefore
> doesn't even work with service workers.

As is the case with all of the group's specs, if we no longer have
sufficient interest and commitments (editing, implementation, testing,
etc.) to continue to move a spec toward Recommendation status, then such
a spec should be published as WG Note, work stopped and the charter
updated to reflect that new status.

In the case of XHR L1, indeed the ED has not changed in over a year,
although there is still some active work on the XHR test suite [3]. As
far as I know, the editors are still committed to move that spec to
Recommendation and unless I hear otherwise, I presume the consensus of
the group is to continue to include XHR L1 in the group's charter.
However, if the Editors and/or other participants recommend otherwise, I
would appreciate it, if they would please voice their opinion.

(BTW, the test results data [4] was  last updated in October 2014.
Perhaps it would be useful to get some new data. Any volunteer(s)?)

-Thanks, ArtB

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-XMLHttpRequest2-20141118/>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/webapps-charter.html>
[3] <https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/tree/master/XMLHttpRequest>