Re: [clipboard] document.execCommand and clipboard actions

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
<hsteen@mozilla.com> wrote:
> so I hit a bit of an issue: I've written some parts of the clipboard spec
> with the assumption that it will be invoked from a
> document.execCommand('copy'/'cut'/'paste') call (although 'paste' would
> require some extra permission work which no UA but IE has attempted so far).

So you're saying most of this is deployed and used by content?

> Meanwhile, the editing task force has gathered feedback on developing editor
> features from implementors and drawn the conclusion that the current "stuff"
> including contentEditable=true and document.execCommand() is unsalvageable.

It seems that's wrong at least as far as copy/paste is concerned,
given our recent successes in getting Flash replaced by execCommand()
calls.

> Would implementors want to support [a new API]?

I think we should first solve the hard problems around security and
format interoperability. We can always add new APIs once the
underlying primitives are well understood. Doing that before seems
rather dangerous. And as you point, without respect for historical
precedent showing it's a bad idea.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/