Re: Directory Upload Proposal

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 23:51:09 -0700
To: Ali Alabbas <alia@microsoft.com>
Cc: Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>> On that note, there is actually a 5th option that we can entertain. We could have three different kinds of file inputs: one type for files, another for directories, and yet another for handling both files and directories. This means that if a developer has a use case for only wanting a user to pick a directory (even on Mac OS X), they would have that option.
>
> Like with options 2 and 3, I would definitely be ok with this option too.

One more thought.

I think option 5 is essentially option 2 plus also add support for
<input type=directory>.

I.e. if we do option 5 I'd prefer to do it by having <input type=file
directories> work as described in option 2, but then also have <input
type=directory>.

One important question though is what would <input type=file
directories> do on platforms that don't have a directory UI concept?
Like most mobile platforms?

/ Jonas