Re: Custom Elements: is=""

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Alice Boxhall <aboxhall@google.com> wrote:
> I definitely acknowledge is= may not be the ideal solution to the latter
> problem - it definitely has some holes in it, especially when you start
> adding author shadow roots to things - but I think it does have potential.
> I'd really like to be convinced that we either have a reasonable alternative
> solution, or that it's not worth worrying about.

I think it is worth worrying about, but I don't think it's worth
holding up a minimal v1 of Custom Elements for. The way to get
agreement among all parties is to do less. And then take baby steps
from.

The way I look at this is that currently you have nothing, since only
Chrome ships this. There's a chance to get three more browsers if you
make some concessions on the warts. And then hopefully we can iterate
from there in a more cooperative fashion.

(The thread Steve shared about ARIA seemed like an equivalent effort
by the way, to expose some of the semantics of native elements through
simple attributes.)

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/