Re: Proposal for "Cascading Attribute Sheets" - like CSS, but for attributes!

From: Austin William Wright <aaa@bzfx.net>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 14:05:21 -0700
To: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:

> Sorry for reviving such an old thread (almost 3 years now!) but I recently
> came across a huge use case for CAS: Semantic data! Namely, Microdata and
> RDFa. They’re both applied using attributes, which makes them super tedious
> to add to existing content.

I like this idea! You might get additional feedback for this from the SWIG
community on the semantic-web list.

GRDDL is (was?) a very similar, but much more complex, concept that uses
RDF/XML and XSLT (not a very well-liked combination by myself or
generally): <http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/>

Another application would be many of the applications of ARIA attributes
(surely I can't be the only one who's thought ARIA shouldn't be embedded in
markup since it's not conveying actual data).

In both cases, they're properties annotating/semantically enhancing data,
where cycles generally shouldn't occur. That is if cycles are a problem at
all. CSS doesn't seem to have any issue when it creates pesudo-elements, I
don't forsee too many issues with pesudo-attributes.

That is, I don't see any reason this would need to modify the DOM; but
could instead expose a "data DOM" that ARIA and RDFa would use; the same
way Web browsers render a "visual DOM" of sorts containing pesudo-elements.

Austin Wright.