RE: [components] Isolated Imports and Foreign Custom Elements

>> (1) All of the parameters to registerElement() should really be provided by the cross-origin element itself. It makes no sense for prototype and extends to come from the hosting environment.

It does makes sense for the cross-origin component to own the element name and extends that it defines, as this name may be important for its documentation and potentially sub-classing behavior. So +1 to that, though when handing that naming control to the host, the host can independently manage naming collisions. I'm just mentioning that--not suggesting that we should design for that particular use case.

On the API control:
One other approach I considered was to use ES6 proxies in some way, because the drawback with the property descriptor approach (if you consider it a drawback) is that you can't create cross-origin components whose elements act like DOM Collections (e.g. the behavior of 'window' or 'form' which have named property/indexed property getters). Perhaps these 'feature' of the current DOM should be discouraged in component creation, but if not, you'd need something with the flexibility of ES6 Proxies. I stuck with property descriptors in the proposal because Proxy use seems like overkill for the simple API definition scenarios (in other words, for a simple property, I don't want to have to define the proxy handler methods: has, get, deleteProperty, enumerate, ownKeys, etc. I'm not sure to what extent your two-way membrane proxy would handle this case...