Re: Imperative API for Node Distribution in Shadow DOM (Revisited)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 14:51:34 +0200
To: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Cc: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>, Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Erik Bryn <erik@erikbryn.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, Steve Orvell <sorvell@google.com>
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me> wrote:
> From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
>>  var x = new Event(eventType)
>>  someNodeThatIsDistributed.addEventListener(eventType, e => console.log(e.path))
>>  someNodeThatIsDistributed.dispatchEvent(ev);
>
> Can you explain in a bit more detail why this causes interop problems? What browsers would give different results for this code? What would those results be?

This essentially forces distribution to happen since you can observe
the result of distribution this way. Same with element.offsetWidth
etc. And that's not necessarily problematic, but it is problematic if
you want to do an imperative API as I tried to explain in the bit you
did not quote back.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/