Re: Privileged context features and JavaScript

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:06:25 -0400
To: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, public-webappsec@w3.org, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>
On 4/17/15 3:38 AM, Elliott Sprehn wrote:
> It's preferable not to do that for us because you can then create a
> static heap snapshot at compile time and memcpy to start JS contexts faster.

For this specific case, where there are only two possibilities
(privileged or not) it seems like you can just have two different
snapshots and pick the right one.  I agree this uses more memory; there
are all sorts of tradeoffs here.

But yes, this is an argument against having any sort of dynamic
behavior.  In the case of Gecko, we have to have _something_ somewhat
dynamic anyway, since we expose APIs to extensions that we don't expose
to web pages... which I'm sure you do too.

-Boris