Re: PSA: publishing new WD of Gamepad on April 14

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Ashley Gullen <ashley@scirra.com> wrote:

> Why doesn't the Gamepad API fire events for button pushes or axis
> movements? For example when pressing a mouse button or moving the mouse the
> browser fires "mousedown" and "mousemove". The Gamepad API however requires
> you to passively poll the state regularly (probably in rAF) and look for
> changes yourself. Why does it not fire events like "gamepadbuttondown" or
> "gamepadaxischange"? This would have a few advantages:

Hi Ashley,

We've talked about this at length, and Firefox even includes a prototype
implementation of button and axismove events (about:config, search for
dom.gamepad.non_standard_events.enabled), but I just don't have the time to
spec them out usefully right now and I'd like to finish up spec'ing the
already-interoperably-implemented set of stuff that's in the spec right
now. Once we get that out the door we can work on useful additions like
events. There's a wiki page[2] that already has a list of such useful
additions.

-Ted

2. https://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/GamepadFeatures