Re: user-agent header control

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 21:04:34 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>Does anyone here know why we restrict the user-agent header the way we
>do in XMLHttpRequest (and now fetch())?

This issue came up several times in the past when people asked for in-
cluding proper rationale in the specification. The response was e.g.

  Because they are better handled by the user agent. Charsets and
  encodings are transparent to the API and the user agent surely
  knows Referer and User-Agent better.

in <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2008May/0408>.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de