Re: =[xhr]

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:29:07 +0100
To: Rui Prior <rprior@dcc.fc.up.pt>
Cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Rui Prior <rprior@dcc.fc.up.pt> wrote:
> You can always make POSTs repeatedly, one per chunk, and arrange for the
> server to "glue" the chunks together, but for short messages this
> process adds a lot of overhead (a full HTTP request per chunk, with full
> headers for both the request and the response).  Another option would
> using websockets, but the protocol is no longer HTTP, which increases
> complexity and may bring some issues.

HTTP/2 should solve the overhead issue.

> Is there any chance of such feature getting added to the standard in the
> future?

At the moment we have a feature freeze on XMLHttpRequest. We could
consider it for https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/ I suppose, but given
the alternatives that are available and already work I don't think
it's likely it will get priority.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/