Re: Questions on the future of the XHR spec, W3C snapshot

20.10.2014, 07:31, "송정기" <jungkee.song@samsung.com>:
> Thanks Hallvord for having started the thread and sharing the annotate_spec.js to move the testing activity forward.

Yup.

> For the spec side of it, I agree to Domenic's idea either publishing it as a group note pointing to the source material or installing a redirection to it. Without the Fetch refactoring, it seems that a new TR based on the old snapshot won't be satisfying the forward compatibility sooner or later. E.g., web authors will also expect an XHR request will fire a fetch event on a service worker, but the old snapshot will still remain with a pointer to a fetch in HTML spec, etc.

My answer ultimately depends on what the editors are prepared to do.

While it seems bleeding edge XHR specs will be in flux for some time (e.g. if Anne takes the "spec of record" and dismembers it into fetch, I presume he won't get that done within a couple of months...)

In the meantime it would be useful to have a stable reference for roughly how to use XHR - after all, for a lot of purposes that hasn't changed in years.

Ideally I would support Hallvord's option A, of publishing a Rec based roughly on what we have prior to refactoring that provides a more-or-less usable description of XHR, assuming it got very clear pointers to the expected future of refactoring the theoretical basis of the spec and cleaning up cases poorly or not handled by where we are now.

For the part of the world where a stable reference really is important (millions of citizens who want or need to use services provided by governments, people who rely on authorised translations, and various others), this would be helpful.

Of course it assumes someone is available to do the publishing work fairly fast. Are the existing editors in a position to do so?

cheers

Chaals