Re: [clipboard] Semi-Trusted Events Alternative

From: Brian Matthews (brmatthe) <brmatthe@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:34:12 +0000
To: "James M. Greene" <james.m.greene@gmail.com>, Hallvord Steen <hsteen@mozilla.com>
CC: Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Ben Peters <Ben.Peters@microsoft.com>
On 9/16/14, 5:22 AM, "James M. Greene" <james.m.greene@gmail.com<mailto:james.m.greene@gmail.com>> wrote:

>  We did some user research on this feature when we were building our most recent flagship product a few years back. Our users' reactions to a sane site enhancing their clipboard data were unanimously delighted rather than upset/offended/horrified.

Two comments: First, Iím not worried about sane sites (well, not as much :-) ). If all we had to worry about were sane sites we wouldnít need popup blockers, URL filters, malware blockers, noscript, etc. Second, did you mention to your users some of the negative possibilities? If not, Iíd suggest that they werenít upset/offended/horrified simply because they didnít think of the downsides.

Brian