Re: CfC: publish LCWD of Screen Orientation API; deadline September 18

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mounir and Marcos would like to publish a LCWD of The Screen Orientation API
> and this is a Call for Consensus to do using the latest ED (not yet in the
> LCWD template) as the basis:
>
>   <https://w3c.github.io/screen-orientation/>

Sorry, my first comment is a naming bikeshed issue. Feel free to
ignore as it's coming in late, but I hadn't thought of it until just
now.

It's somewhat inconsistent that we use the term "natural" to indicate
"the most natural direction based on hardware", but we use the term
"primary" when indicating "the most natural portrait/landscape
direction based on hardware".

Why do we use "primary" for one and "natural" for the other?

Second, I'm still very worried that people will interpret
screen.orientation.angle=0 as portrait. I don't expect to be able to
convince people here to remove the property. However I think it would
be good to at least make it clear in the spec that the .angle property
can not be used to detect portrait vs. landscape.

A informative note in the description of the angle property saying
something like:

"The value of this property is relative to the "natural" angle of the
hardware. So for some devices angle will be 0 when the device is in
landscape mode, and on other devices when the device is in portrait
mode. Thus this property can not be used to detect landscape vs.
portrait. The primary use case for this property is to enable doing
conversions between coordinates relative to the screen and coordinates
relative to the device (such as the ones returned from the
DeviceOrientationEvent interface).

In order to check if the device is in portrait or landscape mode,
instead use the orientation.type property."

Also, I can't find any normative definition of if orientation.angle
should increase or decrease if the user rotates a device 90 degrees
clockwise?

/ Jonas