Re: XMLHttpRequest. Support for "OPTIONS *" method.

On 2014-09-05 10:03, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>> Huh?
>>
>> OPTIONS * isn’t exactly common, but it’s very much OK by HTTP…
>
> Sure. It's not supported by XMLHttpRequest. If you pass "*" as URL
> argument, you'll get a request for "/baseURL/*". And since it's not
> supported by XMLHttpRequest, servers might not anticipate a browser to
> issue such a request and therefore be vulnerable in some way.
>
> We could definitely add a new step to
> http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/#dom-xmlhttprequest-open between 5 and 6 to
> not parse the url parameter if it is "*" and normalized method is
> "OPTIONS".

That would be a hack; there may be legitimate reasons to do a request
for "/baseURL/*".

IMHO "OPTIONS *" is an ugly thing in the first place; I'd prefer clients
not to be extended to deal with that.

*If* you choose to do it, you'll need an approach other than overloading
the requestURI.

Best regards, Julian