Re: =[xhr]

Q1) No, there is no immediate alternative at the moment, nor is there
one planned. One of the reasons for this proposed change to the
semantics of XHR is to stop hiding asynchronous behavior behind a
synchronous implementation that cannot be quite implemented in a
satisfactory manner.

Q2) The general recommendation is to either move code off the main
thread (e.g. to a worker) or to rewrite it asynchronously (possibly
using Promise and Task.js to maintain a readable syntax and exception
semantics).

This is quite some work, but my personal experience shows that it also
makes the code much more flexible/optimizable for responsiveness in many
ways. In this case, I believe that it would require changes to Java2Script.

Cheers,
 David

--
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD