Re: [Custom] Custom elements and ARIA

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:57:00 +0200, Domenic Denicola
<domenic@domenicdenicola.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve, thanks greatly for your help. It's clear now that I should
> have reached out to you for your expertise directly before being very
> wrong on a public mailing list :)
>
> From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
>
>> It appears (please correct me) you have made the assumption that
>> 'strong native semantics' for roles is a UA requirement? This is not
>> the case (in the W3C HTML spec [1] at least, can't speak for where the
>> WHATWG spec has gone in defining ARIA in HTML), they  are author
>> conformance requirements.
>
> Yes, I was misled about that pretty badly. That changes things, as it
> means there are no non-overridable roles or stoperties (as you show with
> <hr role="menuitem">).

States and properties can be non-overridable, though, as I understand it.

[[
When a host language declares a WAI-ARIA [state/property] attribute to be
in direct semantic conflict with a native attribute for a given element,
user agents MUST ignore the WAI-ARIA attribute and instead use the host
language attribute with the same implicit semantic.
]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/host_languages#host_general_conflict_header

> From my reading though, the default implicit ARIA semantics are still UA
> requirements, right?