Re: [clipboard] Add RTF to the "mandatory data types" list?

From: Daniel Cheng <dcheng@chromium.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:08:35 -0700
To: "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hsteen@mozilla.com>
Cc: "James M. Greene" <james.m.greene@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:36 AM, Hallvord R. M. Steen <hsteen@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> > Does anyone else have input for/against this?
>
> Conceptually, I guess RTF sort of covers the same use cases as HTML. That
> doesn't necessarily mean we should not add it.
>
> I don't have "input" as such, but I have a few questions:
> Is there any widely used software that writes RTF data to the system
> clipboard but *not* HTML?
>
> If there's RTF on the clipboard and you try pasting into a rich text
> editing element, does any browser convert RTF to HTML to preserve the
> formatting?

Chrome Mac should (though I've never tested this functionality). I think
the code for this was inherited from Camino, so Firefox may have this as
well. It's not common--it's only implemented on Mac because there's some
platform support already for parsing RTF into a NSAttributedString and then
dumping the result as HTML.