Re: Proposal for a credential management API.

I think the broader goals Jonas has articulated probably belong in their own group, perhaps chartered along with some of what comes out of the upcoming Web Crypto Next Steps workshop.

http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/webcrypto-next-workshop/papers.html

I'll say by way of indicating possible conflict-of-interest that the FIDO Alliance is also working on parts of this problem space (https://fidoalliance.org) but is focusing more specifically on enabling strong authentication without passwords.  We (FIDO) are presenting a paper at the workshop.

Ideally, then, without being too optimistic, I'd like to see passwords replaced entirely by better technology rather than continuing to kludge upon them.  They're still a fundamentally broken technology in many important respects even with better management tools.

Also, we should be careful in decomposing our targets here.  Federation is a different layer than replacing passwords or password management.  There are already a number of standards in that area which could be given "native" support in a browser without having to re-invent the wheel.  (e.g. SAML2, WS-Federation, OpenID Connect / OAuth2, etc.)

-Brad