Re: Fallout of non-encapsulated shadow trees

Domenic Denicola wrote:
> True encapsulation, wherein each element gets some kind of isolated world in which to implement itself, is much harder. Blink-in-JS [1] accomplishes something along these lines, but does not leverage custom elements, shadow DOM, or the like, and essentially works by redirecting through a WebIDL binding layer. Perhaps we can draw inspiration from there.
>
> [1]:https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/presentation/d/1XvZdAF29Fgn19GCjDhHhlsECJAfOR49tpUFWrbtQAwU/edit

Mozilla did XUL and XBL what, 15 years ago? JS implementing IDL (XPIDL,
whatever) interfaces, interoperating with C++, XBL bindings to compose
elements out of other elements. It's doable, especially if you avoid the
temptation to seek perfectection ("true encapsulation"). Enemy of the
good, and all that.

I'm not saying WebComponents aren't good enough, note well. Sounds like
they're pretty good and can be evolved and built upon to be even better
in later iterations. If they can't be minimized much for the first
interoperable spec, then full speed ahead -- but beware premature
standardization. Need more implementations coming up in parallel. Who is
implementing for real right now?

/be