Re: WebIDL Spec Status

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:11:23 +0600, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, at 10:45, Glenn Adams wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Marcos <marcos@marcosc.com> wrote:
>> > Even if we were able to take the V1 bits to Rec (a lot of which is now
>> > obsolete), the V2 stuff is already widely supported and heavily
>> relied on
>> > by browser vendors. IMO, it's a waste of everyone's time to try to
>> maintain
>> > multiple versions.
>> >

>> I agree that the V1 CR should be abandoned or replaced with a completed
>> snapshot of V2. Though it would be useful to ask a wider community about
>> the value of moving some flavor of V1 to REC.
>
> What's the benefits from having a REC based on v1 even if we know it is
> already obsolete?

People who can happily use the obsolete version, but need something
stable, can refer to a well-known version they use, that others can also
use.

This gives far better, although incomplete, interoperability than if
everyone who wants a stable reference more than something they have to
invest in watching, and reacting to, continuously, refers to a random
update.

cheers