Re: WebIDL Spec Status

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 06:50:06 -0400
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
On 6/23/14 4:04 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
> What is the plan, i.e., schedule timeline, for moving WebIDL to REC?
> We have now a two year old CR that appears to be stuck and a 2nd
> Edition that I'm not sure has made it to FPWD.

Hi Glenn, All,

I don't have any new info re v1 beyond what Boris said a few weeks ago
in this thread:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2014AprJun/0162.html>.

Cameron, Boris - please reply to Glenn's question.

> Given the high degree of dependency from other specs and
> implementations on this work, we really need to find a way to wrap up
> this work or at least publish something reasonably stable.

I think the new(ish) normative reference policy [1] provides some
guidance on how to handle this situation (and WebApps has been able to
advance several of its specs to REC despite them having a normative
reference to Web IDL). Are there specific specs (and Web IDL features)
that concern you, Glenn?

-Thanks, AB

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references>