RE: [editing] Leading with ContentEditable=Minimal

From: Ben Peters <Ben.Peters@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 00:23:24 +0000
To: Julie Parent <jparent@google.com>
CC: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Julie Parent <jparent@google.com> wrote:
> If Intention events are (temporarily) moved out of scope,

I don’t think I’d say they’re out of scope, just that they will likely not be ready as quickly as we could do contentEditable=’minimal’. Do you agree with that?

> I think this leads us back to the question of what would contentEditable='minimal' do exactly?  Enable collapsed selections and default handling of cursor movement ... anything else?

Yes we need to define this default functionality. What does everyone think about this?

> If this is all it would do, then perhaps what we really want is an explicit API to enable cursors?

I think we should still think of this as a path to a full story that includes Intention events. Are you saying that ultimately we would have something like this?

Like all other content, this would also get drag/drop, clipboard, and selection events. We would need 3 specs for this- Selection API, minimal editing (cursor-only editing?), and CommandEvent.